On Thursday March 22, 2018, the U.S. Administration adjusted its March 8, 2018 Section 232 announcement to temporarily exempt additional countries, in addition to Canada and Mexico, from this action. Australia, Argentina, South Korea, Brazil and member countries of the European Union are now also exempt from additional duties until May 1, 2018. Please note this information is based on country of origin, not country of export.
Duty requirements went into effect on goods entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on or after 12:01 a.m. eastern daylight time on March 23, 2018.
Steel articles affected by this trade action include those with the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) 6‑digit level as:
- 7206.10 through 7216.50;
- 7216.99 through 7301.10;
- 7302.40 through 7302.90; and
- 7304.10 through 7306.90, including subsequent revisions to these HTS provisions.
Aluminum articles affected by this trade action include those with the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) 6‑digit level as:
- unwrought aluminum (HTS 7601);
- aluminum bars, rods, and profiles (HTS 7604);
- aluminum wire (HTS 7605);
- aluminum plate, sheet, strip, and foil (flat rolled products) (HTS 7606 and 7607);
- aluminum tubes and pipes and tube and pipe fitting (HTS 7608 and 7609); and
- aluminum castings and forgings (HTS 76184.108.40.206 and 76220.127.116.11), including subsequent revisions to these HTS provisions.
U.S. Importers of these products are encouraged to quickly consider and evaluate:
- this information prior to making entry into the U.S. and future duty exposure;
- if current HTS classification numbers being applied are correct or should be reviewed;
- whether any affected products can be sourced domestically in the U.S.;
- filing for a specific exemption to these duties based on low or non-existent U.S. domestic supply;
- the possibility to modify imported products so their HTS classification would fall outside those identified within this Section 232 trade action.
For additional information and assistance, please contact your local Delmar International representative or our North American Advisory Services group.