Please be advised that many factors from 2017 are severely affecting North American trucking capacity, the most notable being:
- Regulations – Electronic Logging Device (ELD)
- Climate conditions and recovery efforts after the major hurricanes
- Continuing tightening of labour markets and driver shortages
- Fuel Costs
All of the above will continue to result in diminished efficiency – creating volatility in the market and surging prices.
The American Trucking Association (ATA) forecasts that ground transportation is expected to grow 3% per year over the next five years.
While the supply of drivers decreases and the demand increases, prices inevitably will continue to rise.
“The best way to combat a tight market is to be proactive” says Jason Pynn, Director, Ground Transportation Services. Delmar’s logistics experts will be taking pre-emptive measures to ensure our customers stay informed and that we work together to develop the best strategies to keep your ground supply chain moving.
Here are the ways to proactively avoid pains over the next few months:
- Provide ample lead time to your logistics coordinator: This will increase the supply of trucks accessible to you.
- Be flexible on pick up times: With the implementation of ELD, review your transit times with you logistic coordinators as certain delivery points could increase transit times.
- Manage your expectations.
- Be open to revised pricing and spot quoting.
- Share the truth – if you manage a lean supply chain consider adding extra safety stock and lead time.
- Ensure your staff and vendors understand the implications of a tight market.
- Stay in communication with our team until the market stabilizes.
Delmar’s logistics coordinators are here to help you! Stay proactive in contacting us about your upcoming shipments and we will weather the current market together.
Additional information may be obtained by contacting your local Delmar representative.